$75 for Members / $95 Non-Members
The laws that regulate leaves of absence are full of traps that can trick employers that let their guard down and lead to employee misuse and abuse. Join us for this 60-minute webinar to examine available tools for successfully and fairly administering FMLA and ADA covered leaves. The end result will be more credible leave administration with less likelihood for suspected abuse.
Topics to be Covered:
- Leveraging available certification and recertification processes
- Special focus on intermittent leave management
- Compliance areas where employers tend to trip-up and create compliance issues
- Professional recordkeeping and employee communication practices
- When/when not to use second and third opinions
- Application of notification work rules separate from leave requests
- Leave as form of reasonable accommodation separate from the FMLA
- Limits on leave as a form of disability accommodation
- Impact on administering no-fault attendance policies
- How to leverage the legal ambiguity of the reasonable accommodation process to your advantage
Donald P. Lawless is a member of Barnes & Thornburg’s Labor and Employment Law Department and has 25 years of experience working on behalf of employers to meet their labor and employment law objectives. He works with clients on the broad range of civil rights compliance and defense, with subspecialties in OFCCP compliance and audits, occupational safety and health, ADA compliance, and facility and program access under Titles II and III of the ADA.
One (1) credit for the MI Chamber Basic or Advanced Human Resource Compliance Certification Program.
One (1) HR (General) recertification credit hour for PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
One (1) PDC for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.