$75 Members / $95 Future Members
Severance pay is determined by the employer, unless otherwise stipulated in an employment contract, a severance policy within the employee handbook, or in some other written document. Please join us for this 60-minute webinar to learn how to navigate the ins and outs of offering and providing severance pay.
What Will Be Covered:
- How to structure severance agreements
- What is the “right” amount of severance for a severance agreement
- How to offer and discuss severance pay with employees
- The difference between a “severance” and a “settlement agreement”
- How employment contracts, handbooks, or union agreements affect severance agreements
- What to do if an employee refuses to agree
- What can and can’t be included in a severance agreement
- How to add waivers of claims and protect confidentiality in severance agreements
- How much time employees should be given to review severance agreements
- What to do if an employee breaches a severance agreement
- How to enforce severance agreements
- Employer obligation to notify other employees of the severance agreement
- How to respond to claims made against an employer after a severance agreement
Clifford Hammond is a member of Foster Swift's Employers Services practice group in the Lansing and Southfield offices where he focuses his practice on employment and labor law counsel and litigation. He has extensive experience with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Michigan Department of Civil Rights, Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, National Labor Relations Act, Michigan Employment Relations Commission, Federal and State Courts, State and Federal administrative agency proceedings, collective bargaining, arbitration, mediation, employment litigation, and dispute resolution.
One (1) credit for the MI Chamber Basic or Advanced Human Resource Compliance AND Tax Policy and Finance Compliance Certification Program.
One (1) HR (General) recertification credit hour for PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
One (1) PDC for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.