Overpay Sales/Use Tax? Governor Snyder Signs Legislation Allowing You to Claim a Refund

Michigan Department of Treasury building
June 11, 2018

HB 5620 and HB 5621 were signed by the Governor last week and will allow purchasers to claim a refund for sales/use tax overpayments directly to the Department of Treasury. Currently, the process to get a refund for an overpayment of sales/use taxes is cumbersome and inefficient. It involves unrelated parties and is overly burdensome. HB 5620 and HB 5621 allow for a streamlined process that will make it easier to get a refund that is rightfully owed to a taxpayer.

For more information on this legislation please contact Dan Papineau at dpapineau@michamber.com.