As part of an ongoing effort to upgrade and improve services to employers, the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) on August 14 debuted its Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM). MiWAM replaces the old Employer Web Account Manager (EWAM) as the UIA’s new and improved system for managing unemployment tax accounts electronically.
The new system will allow employers and other managers of UI accounts to perform routine online transactions, such as filing reports, paying taxes, viewing statements and updating tax account information, around the clock.
EWAM, which was first introduced in April 2002, gave employers the ability to file quarterly wage reports online, view account information, file bulk wage reports, change contact information and more. In April of 2006, EWAM was upgraded to include quarterly tax/payroll filing options, make tax payments, and amend tax reports.
MiWAM displays a new look, and boasts new enhancements that simplify and improve functionality for both employers and service providers, while continuing all the current benefits of EWAM.
The new enhancements provide for updated and simplified navigation, and allow users to:
- File tax reports and make payments the same day a MiWAM account is established;
- Establish a MiWAM account for service providers to perform services for their clients on-line;
- Respond to fact finding questions;
- Receive notices and letters;
- Schedule recurring payments or multiple payments;
- File quarterly wage/tax/payroll reports;
- Report discontinuance or transfer of business; and
- File a UIA tax protest.
Employers need to familiarize themselves with the new system and can do so by visiting the UIA website for an instructional online toolkit that includes information to help ensure an easy transition to MiWAM. In the toolkit you’ll find logon instructions, bulk filing formats, contact information for technical support, and much more.