What is a Certificate of Origin?
A Certificate of Origin (CO) is an important international trade document attesting that goods in a particular export shipment are wholly obtained, produced, manufactured or processed in a particular country. In order to be valid, the certificate of origin must be signed by the exporter, and countersigned by a chamber of commerce.
The commodity being exported and its destination determine if the CO is required. The purpose of the CO is to authenticate the country of origin of the merchandise being shipped (where it was made). It all depends on the rules and regulations of the country where the shipment is going.
How does the Michigan Chamber CertifyMichiganTM program work?
- Just complete the enrollment form and letter of indemnity in Adobe Acrobat, print it, sign it and fax/email it. For questions please contact Terese Mcinnis at 517-371-7657.
- Once your form is processed, you will receive login information for the online portal.
- Log in to complete a new Certificate of Origin application whenever you need one.
- Your request will be processed the same day if received by 3pm, unless the Chamber is closed (weekend, holiday, emergencies).
- You will receive an email when your CO application has been processed at which time you can log in to print it off or resubmit it if you had missing information.
Why should I use CertifyMichiganTM?
- Easy, Online Access: All electronic with no travel, mail or trips to the Chamber; Electronic notifications, receipts; Easily copy, edit, resubmit previous applications and rejections online
- Trustworthy: Ensures export compliance; processed by qualified and certified Chamber staff; system identifies errors in advance
- User-Friendly: System takes you step-by-step for successful application
- As Needed: Simply pay as you use; no upfront fees; no training needed
- Fast Turnaround: Documents certified by Chamber staff and returned quickly
- Customer Support: Available by phone or email
How much does it cost?
$25 Michigan Chamber members per certified document.
$50 Future Michigan Chamber members per certified document.
Shipping & Handling fees apply if you don’t select the DIY printing option.
We accept through the online portal, in partnership with TradeCert.
Prices are USD
What if I need more information about CertifyMichiganTM?
Please call Terese McInnis at 1- 517-371-7657 or email email@example.com with questions!
What if I am having technical difficulty with the online portal?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any computer issues you are experiencing as it relates to the online portal.
REFUND POLICY: The Michigan Chamber refund policy is subject to change anytime. We reserve the right to limit or decline returns or exchanges regardless of whether you have a receipt. In the event of an error by the Michigan Chamber, the customer has the option to choose a refund or exchange for the specific document. Requests for refund or exchange must be made within 3 business days of document approval. In the event of customer error, there are no refunds. Fees for legalization services and shipping are non-refundable.
- MI Chamber Certificate of Origin Flyer
- Basic Guide to Exporting Book (International Trade Administration)
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation International Trade Services
- U.S. Export Assistant Centers in Michigan