The Michigan Department of Treasury recently announced changes to its online filing portal, Michigan Treasury Online (MTO). These changes will take effect on April 4, 2016.
Treasury has added the Essential Service Assessment (ESA) to MTO. ESA is a state-specific tax on eligible personal property owned by, leased to or in the possession of an eligible claimant who has claimed the eligible manufacturing personal property (EMPP) tax exemption.
Overview of Enhancements
- Taxpayers have the ability to save the progress of their returns.
- Taxpayers have the ability to view and print their return before submission.
- Users now have 4 different access roles:
- Manage Registration (Information)
- File and Pay Sales, Use and Withholding (SUW) Taxes
- Fast File SUW Now
- Improvements to the authentication process, including enhanced security questions.
- Ability to upload W-2’s.
- Pre-population of customer and supplier information on fuel credit schedules.
*Please be advised that Michigan Treasury Online (MTO) will be unavailable from 5:00pm Friday, April 1, 2016 until Monday morning April 4, 2016.