The Michigan Jaycees in partnership with the Michigan Chamber of Commerce is taking nominations for the The Michigan Junior Chamber’s Outstanding Young Michigander (OYM) and Distinguished Service Awards. The program was started in 1955 to recognize outstanding community leaders age 21 to 40 years old from around the state of Michigan.
The program honors up to five Outstanding Young Michiganders (OYM) and up to five Distinguished Service Awards (DSA) annually, who exemplify the best attributes of the state’s young people. Honorees selected in past years have represented the heights of progress in all human endeavors. Many have gone on to even greater achievements. All have continued to serve humanity in a great variety of ways.
Outstanding Young Michiganders and Distinguished Service Award recipients will be honored at a Ceremony held on April 14, 2018. The ceremony will highlight each winner’s career in narrative form and provide a stage from which the honorees can challenge and inspire young people from around Michigan. For each honoree, there will be a video presentation profiling his/her accomplishments, followed by the trophy presentation, and an acceptance speech.
Young men and women may be nominated in one of ten categories for the OYM/DSA honor. A panel of distinguished judges will select honorees. Up to 10 honorees will be selected from all nominations received, regardless of category entered.
Outstanding Young Michigander Award
The Outstanding Young Michigander award recognizes young men and women in the following 10 categories:
- Business, Economic, and/or Entrepreneurial Accomplishment
- Political, Legal, and/or Governmental Affairs
- Academic Leadership and/or Accomplishment
- Cultural Achievement
- Moral and/or Environmental Leadership
- Contribution to Children, World Peace, and/or Human Rights
- Humanitarian and/or Voluntary Leadership
- Scientific and/or Technological Development
- Personal Improvement and/or Accomplishment
- Medical Innovation
Distinguished Service Awards
The Distinguished Service Awards recognizes young individuals in the following categories:
- One Outstanding Young Religious Leader ‐ A Pastor, Priest, Youth Group Leader, Sunday School Teacher, etc.
- One Outstanding Young Educator ‐ School or College instructor, etc.
- One Outstanding Public Safety Officer – Law Enforcement Officer, EMT/Paramedic, or Firefighter.
- One Tim Pope Memorial Outstanding Young Governmental Leader ‐ Demonstrates that "government should be of laws rather than of men."
- One Outstanding Young Farmer ‐ An actual farm operator, deriving a minimum of two‐thirds of their income from their farming.
Submit a Nomination
Nominations are open. All submissions are due electronically by 9:00PM EST, on Wednesday, November 14, 2017. Notification of winners will be mailed to both nominees and nominators the week of January 22, 2018. Submit a nomination.
The Michigan Junior Chamber’s Outstanding Young Michigan and Distinguished Service Award program will take place on April 14, 2018 at the Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center in East Lansing. Detailed information on the event will be included in the winner notification letters.
Winners will be announced to the media prior to the Honors Program. Each Winner will receive two complimentary tickets to the Honors Program. Additional tickets may be purchased.
Contact email@example.com for additional information.