$270 Members / $295 Future Members
Now that the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) is aligned with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS), your old MSDS books should have all new Safety Data Sheets (SDS). Please join us for this fun-filled, practical class for tips on identifying hazards under GHS, updating your hazcom book and providing the necessary training for your workers.
- Learn by doing, not by being lectured!
- Understand chemical risks
- Comprehend SDS (safety data sheets) under the GHS (Global Harmonized Standard)
- Learn how to update your hazard communication book
- Recognize and interpret signal words on labels
- Practice interpreting the new symbols
- Play a fun safety game to identify hazards from labels and photos
- Understand the training you must provide for new employees
- Understand the fines MIOSHA levies if training requirements are not met
- Know what to include in your written safety manual regarding hazcom
- Learn to educate employees in a way that’s interesting and effective
- Use common chemicals for your safety training examples
- Learn about free tools for teaching people in languages other than English
- Receive a CD containing a copy of the presentation to use with your staff
Laura Simms, SHRM-CP, is the risk and safety specialist for CoStaff Services and one of the Michigan Chamber’s most popular trainers. Laura has provided learner-centered training for more than 5,000 participants and conducts classes that are fun, effective, and full of time-saving ideas. All of her examples are based on real-life principles. Laura is an OSHA general industry outreach trainer with a master’s degree from Central Michigan University and a bachelor’s degree from Wayne State.
“Laura is a great speaker. She keeps it very interesting. Not only would I love to come to more of her seminars, I would highly recommend her to anyone I believe needs training.” – Teresa Samdal, S. Group Automotive, Ltd.
“Laura is an excellent presenter. She does a great job interacting with her audience and knows the material that she is presenting. I would like to attend other seminars that she presents.” – Tim Armstrong, Life EMS Ambulance, Inc.
“Laura Simms kept me interested from start to finish. She showed me a different way to approach different situations. After taking her seminar I feel more confident with the position I hold at the company I work for.” – Robert Green, Knight Carbide, Inc.
Six (6) credits for the MI Chamber Basic or Advanced Environmental, Health & Safety Compliance Certification Programs.
Four (4) HR (General) recertification credit hours for PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
Four (4) PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.